Subways are a transportation facility of the urban railroad system that is operating in Seoul. Since the opening of Line 1 on August 15, 1974, 9 lines now are currently operating.
Seoul Metropolitan Rapid Transit Corp. Line 5 ~Line 8
Seoul Metro Line 1 ~ Line 4
Seoul Metropolitan Rapid Transit Corp. Line 9
|Line 1||The first subway line that was opened in Seoul It runs toward downtown areas such as Seoul Station and City Hall and Jongno Stations. It is connected to major cities of metropolitan areas such as Suwon, Incheon, and Cheonan.|
|Line 2||This is the circular line that operates in downtown Seoul. It connects Gangbuk’s tourist sites such as Hongik Univ., Sinchon, Ewha Womans Univ., City Hall, Euljiro, and Dongdaemun History & Culture Park Stations, as well as Gangnam’s major areas such as Jamsil, Sanseong, and Gangnam Stations.|
|Line 3||This line spans from Goyang-si and Ilsan of Gyeonggi-do to the southern area of Seoul. It connects the central areas of Gangnam such as Sinsa, Apgujeong, and Express Bus Terminal Stations, as well as Anguk and Jongno 3-ga Stations, which are convenient to tour Insa-dong.|
|Line 4||This is the line that connects the northern and southern areas of Seoul. It is a convenient line for touring Daehangno, Dongdaemun Market, Myeong-dong, and Namdaemun Markets, and Seoul Station.|
|Line 5||This line connects Gimpo Airport and downtown Seoul. Passengers can transfer to Line 1 and 3 at Jongno 3-ga Station.|
|Line 6||This is a convenient line for going to see the World Cup Stadium and Itaewon.|
|Line 7||This line connects Uijeongbu-si on the north side of Seoul and the Gangnam area of Seoul. It is highly congested during commuting hours. It passes through a high-quality shopping area, Cheongdam-dong.|
|Line 8||This line connects southern Seoul and Seongnam-si. There is Garak Market which lagest agricultural market in Seoul. And Munjeong-dong is Famouse of outlet shopping area.|
|Line 9||This is the newest line, which opened in July 2009. It operates express trains and local trains. It connects Gimpo Airport to the Gangnam area in 30 minutes.|
|Bundang Line||This line connects the area of Gangnam and residential areas in the outskirts of Seoul. It connects Seonneung Station of Gyeonggi-do and Bojeong Station in Giheung-gu in Yongin city.|
|ShinBundang Line||This line connects Gangnam-Pangyo-Jeongja Stations, which are operated by an unmanned operation system for the first time in Korea. It passes through Yangjae Citizen’s Forest and the café street in Jeongja-dong, Bundang.|
|Jungang Line||This line connects Yongsan Station and Yongmun Station in Yangpyeong-gun of Gyeonggi-do.|
|Gyeongui Line||This line connects Seoul Station and Munsan Station of Gyeonggi-do. At Munsan Station, there is a train that goes to Dorasan Station, so passengers can get to the DMZ.|
|Gyeongchun Line||This line opened in December 2010. It connects Sangbong Station on Line 7 and Chuncheon Station in Gangwon-do. Passengers can use this line to get to Cheongpyeong, Gapyeong, and Chuncheon.|
|Airport Express||Airport Express service passes through Incheon International Airport and Gimpo Airport and runs to Seoul Station; it consists of general trains which stop at all ten stations, and fast through trains which directly connect Incheon International Airport with Seoul Station.|
|Based on distance traveled||Based on transport cards||Single-use card|
|Adult||Up to 10㎞ : 1,050 won||100 won added to the transport card fee|
|10~40㎞ : additional 100 won charged every 5㎞|
|Exceeding 40㎞ : additional 100 won charged every 10㎞|
|Youth||minimum charge: 720 won||No discount (single use fare)|
|Child||minimum charge: 450 won||minimum charge: 500 won|
How to Use
1. Finding subway stations
- At the entrance of subway stations, there are a subway sign and the station name. Station names are indicated in Chinese and English for foreigners.
- Station numbers are also indicated in different colors, so passengers can easily recognize which subway line it is.
2. Ticket purchasing
- As of May 2009, boarding tickets have been changed to single-use transport cards. Upon the purchase of this type of card, a security deposit of 500won is added, but it is returned after the card has been used.
- Prepid transport cards are rechargeable, and the used fares of deferred payment cards are included in the statement of a credit card being charged.
3. Passing through a turnstile
- After purchasing a card, scan the card to pass through the turnstile.
- A transfer to another line can be done within the station, without passing through the turnstile.
- Transferring can be easily done by following the color of the subway line that you want to use.
- To leave the subway station, scan the card and pass through the turnstile.
- Outside the turnstile, insert the card into a security deposit refund machine to get a refund